Thrift Store Stories: Strike a pose

I never thought I would be a doll collector, but here I am with a room filled with dolls of all sizes and now even from different decades. I find myself not having the heart to leave behind a doll that sparks any kind of interested in me. That is how this story got started!

It really started out by hitting up a 2nd hand store we don't go to very much. From there we ended back at good old Savers. My Savers has two dolls areas, which I think is common, one for "toy" dolls and other for "display" dolls. This sweet faced girl was laying in the "display" doll area. I picked her up right away to take a look at her, I thought she was unique looking. After looking at her neck my mother thought maybe she was a Vogue Pattern doll since she knew it had been a common thing back in the day when about everyone sewed. A lady also looking through the dolls said "this doll" was a Jenny Doll then walked away. Very odd short conversation with her.

I headed back to the "toy" doll to take a peek when my mother walked up to me with research on her phone. The lady had been kind of right but so had my mother, it seemed the doll was a Vogue Doll, but it wasn't Jenny but a common Vogue doll was named Ginny. More interested sparked in me, so I hurried back to pick her up. Now even more to my delight, her tag happened to be 50% off that day, taking her piece from $6 to $3. I thought why not and brought her home with me.

A few days later, my mother was still looking for more information on her, she, at last, found the real details to this girl. She was, in fact, a 1969 Vouge Nicole doll! We had a name but not much else, other than a few other dolls being sold on eBay, but at least I had a name! She is between 16 and 17 inches doll but her legs are much longer than 18in dolls. So their tights don't fit her, and all pieces are shorter than normal.

After that is was Spa day, so enjoy these crazy before photo!

She cleaned up pretty easily, cold water, washcloth and dawn soap cleaned up her body and face. Her hair was a bit odd feeling but shocking after some cold water and baby shampoo felt fine. I brushed her hair with wire brush along with some water that has just a bit of fabric softener in it. I thought her hair would be a lot harder to brush then it was, only had one rat nest part on her head. I rolled it up in some rollers while it was damp, it air dried overnight, coming out with crazy curls, I love it!



But then her poor clothes! I handwash everything! This poor outfit though! it is even sadder because I really liked the outfit too. The red velvet like fabric ended up running, staining the white top of her dress. I thought I had saved it when I first noticed but the red fabric will not stop running. So as of right now she only wears the tights and shoes from the outfit I got her in. Once I can color fix her dress, I will post update photos.


The outfit she is wearing the photos to the left and below is an outfit I got from Hobby Lobby for nothing a while back. It was already falling apart, I just had to take in the sides of the tops and the skirt a bit. Now it fits her perfectly, and she looks so cute! It came with two hair ties for pig tales but I like it this way.

Now her name has also changed to match one of my favorite fairy tale characters. Her name is now Rose Red, named for Snow Whites sister in the Grimm Brother tale of Snow White and Rose Red. If you don't know the story look it up, I forgot about it for a while. It's a different story than Snow white and the seven dwarfs. Rose is, in fact, a dark-haired outdoors type, while snow white is a fair hair, quiet indoor girl. I just love Rose so once I got her home, I knew she was my Rose Red.

I'm very excited to add her to my dolly family. She has a place in my heart now and I really love her.








Comments

Popular Posts