Thrift Store Stories: From Meh to Magical

When you love doll but are on a budget nothing can be more fun, and great for your wallet, then check out a local thrift store for some great dolls that just need a bit of TLC for only a couple bucks. 

This is what I did when I wanted to enter a Witch outfit in the county fair but also make a witch 18in doll. Not feeling that any of my current dolls fit the bill on 50% off day at the local Savers, I drove into the toy area to save this blonde beauty. Now at first, it was a mother nightmare. Her hair was in this awful braid that at left it dry with an odd texture to it. The first thing I did was give her a spa day! I clean her face, arms and legs with cold water, cloth and bit of dawn soap. Then washed her hair, brushed it and even put it through a straightening iron on low heat. I tried much time to get it to curl but the curls feel out real easily, so she is meant to forever have straight hair, which is fine. Through I am still trying to decide if I want to add color to her hair, she was done for the moment all ready to be dressed up. 

I named her Sabrina Marie, and since I was going to enter her in the fair everything she is wearing it handmade. From the hat to the boots. The hat is made out if a crushed panne fabric with a cotton lining then ribbons from the dollar tree around it. A bit of purple tulle hangs off the back with a purple tulle flower. Her cape it two-sided, a Halloween print on one side and orange print on the other, with a spider button broach to keep it closed. Her shirt is a gray shirt fabric long sleeve, her shirt is a circle shirt made from orange marble cotton. Her tights are made from an old dress sock, then her shoes are a flee with a dollar tree ribbon wrapped around the top. She also as a small black tulle petticoat type shirt under the main skirt, which is less like a pretty coat and more for additional flair. 


I did enter in my local county fair and placed first place in my area. Which I'm not 100% sure what that area was, if it was just doll clothes or if it was sewn toys. I don't go to the fair and by the time I got there to pick her up everything else had been picked up so I didn't see who the overall winner where or who I was up against. I'm through very proud of myself, I made everything in about two weeks. Next year I'm hoping to get an overall titled! 







Comments

Popular Posts